lunes, enero 09, 2006

Unexpected X11 (OS X) crash?

xdarwin

It happened to me when I tried to start the Apple X11 server. It showed the menu bar and then, after a few seconds and without running the venerable xterm yet, it abruptly crashed.

I tried again a couple of times more from command line with the same disastrous behavior.

When I checked the console output I had few clues to know what had happened.

After the third try, I decided the best way to get rid of the problem would be googling a bit. Good idea!

As usual, somebody have had the same problem. That message from Owen, Martin and Kevin, had pointed me in the right direction.

The crash was caused because some evil application have had replaced the /tmp from the original soft link (/tmp -> /private/tmp) to a directory on its own.

Easy solution for an apparently ugly bug.

crunchbox$ sudo mv /tmp /tmp.old
crunchbox$ sudo ln -s /private/tmp/ /tmp

Fire up your X11. Now, it works!

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Making money on the internet is easy in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat downloads[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or little-understood methods to build an income online.